Title: Backend Engineer
About Living Map
Living Map produces unique interactive mapping solutions and information visualisation for cities and complex buildings. We use a diverse set of technologies, and you will get to work on everything from cutting-edge navigation technology to geospatial data management. The business was created by the team responsible for the Legible London wayfinding project – a global standard in wayfinding design and city movement and awareness. The office is an open and collaborative multidisciplinary environment consisting of engineers, cartographers and designers.
What does the job involve?
You will be joining the company at an exciting stage in its evolution. Working on an innovative greenfield project to provide navigation to some of the world’s busiest public and private spaces.
We’ve been operating a research and development unit for the past year, to design the architecture for an innovative indoor navigation system on mobile devices. Moving into the implementation phase, we require an experienced backend software engineer who can impact the product from day one.
We operate a modern tech stack, and are currently building out a backend microservices architecture. Our current stack comprises:
- Infrastructure: Kubernetes for cloud orchestration, Docker for containerisation, Google Cloud for hosting.
- Backend: Scala and Java with Play Framework, TypeScript with Node.js.
- Mobile: Java with Android, Swift with iOS.
- Frontend: TypeScript with Mapbox GL JS.
- We look for quality of experience, not just quantity. Whatever your seniority, show us your skills and how they fit into our stack.
- Firm grounding in general software engineering principles. Confident in picking the right data structure for a problem.
- Detailed knowledge of any JVM-based language (Java / Scala / Kotlin) (experience with any other mainstream language is valued if you can demonstrate the ability to transfer your skills to Java and Scala).
- Confident setting up continuous integration / deployment for a microservice. Familiarity with the whole development lifecycle.
- Excellent code management skills.
Native mobile app development (Swift / iOS, Java / Android), TypeScript / Node.js, familiarity with statistics, familiarity with the principles of agile development.
- 25 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Share option scheme
- Flexible/remote working
We are committed to equal opportunities for all employees. We attempt to be fair in our hiring practices and do not discriminate in regard to gender, sexual orientation, race, disabilities, age and any factor irrelevant to a person’s work.
If you feel you have some or all of the skills and experience we are looking for, we would love to hear from you. To apply, please submit your CV, portfolio, and cover letter to email@example.com and title your email with the position you are applying for. Alternatively, you can submit your application online by clicking below: